Friday, December 4, 2009

2277/08/18 - A City by the Bomb

It was pretty early in the morning when I woke up. Rather, I was woken up. I heard "hey, you," said a few times before a tall, dark-skinned guy with a cowboy hat prodded me awake with the barrel of his rifle. Apparently his son had seen me curled up under the supports of some building and went to tell dad.

He said his name was Lucas Simms, and that he was the town's combined mayor and sheriff. Then he told me that if he understood me staying away from Moriarty's (?) but that I couldn't just sleep in the dirt, and pointed out the Megaton common house up on the edge of the pit the town seems to have been built around. He told me to stay out of trouble and was about to leave when I stopped him to ask about my dad.

Simms said he hadn't seen him, as he "had enough fires to put out around here." He told me to ask around if I wanted, but to try and steer clear of Moriarty's saloon. Apparently the place is bad news, and the owner is a liar and untrustworthy. I got some more directions from him before he went on his way, walking the town again. The place is a mess, but I was lucky there were signs to help. I decided to start asking around to see if anyone had seen dad come through.

Nobody seemed to have seen him, and soon I found myself in front of the Craterside Supply, run by a woman named Moira. I went inside to see what she had to offer; I figured I wouldn't be finding much more food out in the wasteland, though I honestly didn't like the idea of parting with anything I had thought to bring with me. A guy in dark armor off to one side kept giving me the evil eye as I looked the place over. That's when I saw it: a vault suit with armored plates grafted on. Not only that, it was made from a Vault 101 suit!

Moira saw me staring and came over to chat. She said it belonged to some woman that came from the vault years ago, but that she'd gone missing before Moira could finish the alterations she'd been paid to make. She didn't have any information about where dad went, but she suggested we make a little deal. She's working on some kind of Wasteland Survival Guide so that people have an easier time living in the Capital Wasteland. It didn't sound like that bad of an idea, to be honest.

Anyway, the deal was this: if I helped her work on it, she'd find ways to pay me for my time. She said it might be dangerous, but that she'd make it worth my while. The first thing she wanted was to know if old department stores still had anything worth salvaging. She gave me the coordinates for a place called Super-Duper Mart outside of town. She wanted me to try and find some food and medicine there and come back to show her. If I did this for her, she said I could have the vault suit I'd been looking at.

Moira was nice enough to give me an old backpack to help bring stuff back from Super-Duper Mart. I sold her my old BB gun for some more ammo for the 10mm Amata had given me, but asked her to try and keep it around so I could maybe buy it back, as it was special to me.

So, now you know how my morning went. Things seem to be going alright for now, though I don't know what to expect on this little "quest."

1 comment:

  1. Stuff to Do:
    * Try to find food and medicine at Super-Duper Mart.
    * Find out if anyone in Megaton saw dad.
    * Buy my BB gun back.

    ReplyDelete